Monday, November 22, 2010

new project

Sorry for the posting delay. For the last few months I was working on building a car for the 24 Hours of Lemons race. Now that the race is finished, I'm ready to work on mopeds again.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a really cheap AMF Roadmaster. I found it on CL and immediately fell in love with the mags and dry rotted 80's BMX tires. I just had to pick it up and find out what it was all about.

Last night I took both wheels apart in an attempt to rebuild them. I think most of the bearings are salvageable, but I probably need at least one axle (10mm x 1.00 x 140mm).

The tires/tubes are definitely shot. I'm going to shop for new ones today. However, the size listing is interesting. Both tires said 20 x 2.125, but the wheels are only ~16-3/4" OD. I'll have to see what I can find on that subject.

Pics:
null

null

null

null

null

3 comments:

  1. I want to see the Lemons car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lemons blog with pictures can be seen here: http://teamunderpants.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tires are bicycle tires which are sized based on the OD rather than the ID.

    any bike shop should have them

    pretty sure those are not the stock rims, i've never seen a roadmaster with mags, and those look very much '1980's bmx' to me.

    rad on the lemons too. my buddy provided the chrysler K-series executive limo for the judges this year!

    ReplyDelete