Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pinto tail light - Round 2

I started off with one of those Tun LED tail lights, but even with my 12V lighting coil it wouldn't work. I could hook it up to a 12V battery and it would work fine, but I got nothing out of it on the bike. After taking the bike to MLM for some tuning, I realized the light didn't even work when hooked up to a battery. I'm thinking it quickly blew up, even though I never saw it work to begin with. I liked the light, but I don't like that you can't replace the bulb for it. I'd end up spending $18 shipped for each new light while I worked out my electrical issues. That's not cool.

So, I switched over to another light that Treats has. It's fairly low profile and has replaceable bulbs. It even has a clear section on the bottom for your license plate, which I would thought would work out well during my initial license plate mounting plan. Oh well.

Last weekend I cut the light mounting plate out of 1/8" steel. I then welded it to the bottom of my seat pan.



Here it is with the seat cover back on and the tail light mounted.



And here it is on the bike.



I like the way it looks overall. I was thinking that I could probably bend the bracket a little bit, so the light is closer to the seat. However, I want it to remain visible and I kind of like that I can still fit my hand in there, which makes moving the bike around much easier. I think I'll leave it for now.

1 comment:

  1. That is my favorite tail light. I've been putting them on all my bikes.

    ReplyDelete