Wednesday, March 28, 2012

License plate mount for the Pinto

Before I register this bike, I want to get the license plate mount and the tail light figured out. The last couple of nights I worked on the license plate mount.

My goal was to mount both the plate and the light under my seat. However, the seat is super low and it doesn't leave me a lot of room. I knew the plate mount would have to be shallow, but I figured it would still be somewhat visible.

I started by making a nice cardboard cutout using an Eggo waffle box.

null

I then transfered that over to a piece of 1/8" aluminum and added the brake with my vice and some clamps.

null

I was super happy with how it turned out. However, as I suspected, I couldn't put much of a brake in the part. It was getting too close to the tire. I thought I could get away with it as you see it in the pictures, but when I put the seat back on and sat on the bike, I could tell it was going to be too close no matter what I did. Damn. I really wanted to mount the license plate here. It would have been clean, sleak, and out of the way.

null

null

From there I moved on to plan B. I modified the piece of aluminum to make it fit the lower shock bolt. I really didn't want to go with a vertical plate, but I didn't see another way around it. Oh well...I don't think it looks too bad for a compromise. I checked the fit after I finished it up and with my feet on the pedals everything clears just fine.

null

null

No comments:

Post a Comment