Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spacers and Caliper Bracket

I finished modifying the caliper bracket last night. It needed to be moved closer to the rotor in order to achieve full brake pad engagement. That required me to locate, drill, and tap a couple of new mounting holes...and to cut off a corner of the bracket.

I also finished working out my spacer situation. I picked up a selection of them from my local Ace and started cutting them to length. That can be tricky to do with an angle grinder. I'm happy with the end result though.

Now I just need a to pick up a new axle nut from Fastenal tonight and wait for my eBay custom brake hose to show up. I'm almost done.










4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My local Ace Hardware has 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD spacers in 1/2" and 1" lengths. I get those and cut them to the right lengths. You could probably use a pipe cutter on them, but I don't have one that is big enough. So, I just cut them with my angle grinder cutoff wheel and smooth them out with a flap disc. It works ok.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, hitting Ace today. That is for the in between bearing spacers as well? Also, what axle you using, if I don't have to order and just pick up from Ace as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is for the in between bearing spacers. I ended up ordering a used axle off of ebay. I couldn't find an axle from Treats that was the length I needed.

      Delete