Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Gila kit first start = loud?

I finished up the wiring on the pinto last night and decided to try to fire the bike. It only took about 2-3 kicks and it fired right up, but it was loud...like a ringing loud...or something is hitting something it shouldn't loud. Any thoughts on this?

Two of my thoughts:
1. I didn't do anything with those rubber blocks that come with the kit. I read on 1977 Mopeds that they are for sound dampening. Where do these blocks go? Will they really help with what I am hearing?
2. I remember reading something about "make sure you grind this down" or "make sure you take this off or this will happen", but I can't remember what it was. I'll have to go back and see what I can find. It was definitely in regards to the Gila kit, but I don't remember what it was.

I used all of the gaskets that came with the kit, except for the extra intake gasket. Why did it come with 2 intake gaskets?

Is it possible that I don't have enough clearance between the piston and the head? It turns over smoothly by hand.

Any comments would be appreciated. I'm not very interested in blowing up this $200 kit before I even get to ride it.

2 comments:

  1. Rubber blocks should go in between the fins, otherwise they will ring, lots of motorcycle have these dampners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The piston clearance should be checked before startup at BDC, so that it is not hitting the 4 little nub's in the case at BDC.

    I use a thicker base gasket and no headgasket, so I am not sure if your piston is hitting the head. Did you check the squish clearance?

    My gila is just loud all around, so if it does not sound like metal on metal or anything grinding, you should be fine.

    ReplyDelete