Friday, March 16, 2012

E50 clutch brace installed

While I was out at MLM a couple of weeks ago, I decided to pick up a clutch brace for the Gila'd E50 on the Pinto. I haven't really had issues with bent clutch posts, but the engine hasn't really ran correctly until now either.

I initially made an attempt to drill and tap the posts myself, but I ended up breaking both a drill bit AND a tap in one of the holes. I tried to salvage it, but decided to scrap it when I found out a new one was ~$12 shipped from Treats.

The 2nd time around I decided not to mess with it. I brought it to a machinist friend at work and let him finish it properly. He shaved down the posts to a minimal clearance over the top of the clutch arm. And he drilled/tapped the holes at the same time. It turned out great.

null

Before I reinstalled the arms, I checked the weights. They are all right around 73 grams. I know some of the stock arms can be close to 100 grams, which is too heavy. And I know some guys will cut theirs down to 55-60 grams, but I'm concerned that may be too light. So, I decided to leave them alone for now and just work with the oil and spring settings.

null

When I picked up the clutch brace, I forgot to get the fasteners with it. I went to two local hardware stores and this was the best fastener I could find. It's close to flush, but it isn't perfect. However, I think with how far my posts have been shaved down, the minimal amount the fastener is sticking up won't be an issue.

null

I've got the Paz orange springs in this clutch. I ran the set screws down 2.5 turns from the top. I'm not sure if that will be enough or if I'll have go more. We'll see.

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF this time. I know there has been discussion about all kinds of different oils, but I'm going to start here and see how it does. Up until now I've only used whatever ATF I had sitting around. This has to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment