Saturday, March 23, 2013

Forks Mounted to the Pinto

Two nights ago with the help of a motocross buddy, I was able to shorten the forks. I took two inches out of the 3-1/4 inches of travel. I really wanted to keep the bike away from having any sort of chopper rake.

Last night I figured out how to deal with the difference between the EBR triple tree clamp and the smaller fork tubes of the SSR Motorsports forks. I used some .5mm shim stock that I heated and bent around the forks to take up the extra space. I thought I would be able to go all the way around with the shim, but it turned out I could only make it about 1/6th of the way. After putting the shim in and clamping it down, I feel confident the EBR clamps will hold the tubes just fine.

Here are a couple of pictures of them on the bike. I was bummed to find out my M bars won't fit. I'll have to switch over to straight bars...one more unplanned expense...damn.





7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell yeah! SSR FORKS FTW!!!

    This looks great. What are you going to run for a brake?

    I am glad these worked out for you. Sorry about my piss poor measurement when i measured the tubes for ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to use the SSR brakes. I found out last night that the rotor diameter (190mm) does not work with the SSR caliper placement. I will have to modify the caliper mounting bracket to get better brake pad engagement. I also need to shorten the brake hose. It's way too long.

      Delete
  3. Do you have any pics or advice on shortening the fork tubes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any pictures and it's been too long for me to remember what I did to shorten them. Sorry.

      Delete
    2. So, I did find a picture. I believe I just cut the spring down that is inside the tube. Contact me if you want me to send you the picture I have.

      Delete