Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Gila case work

So, a few weeks ago I did all the work on grinding the transfers for the Gila kit that is going on my latest Pinto project. I then carefully reassembled the engine, sealed it all up, and locktited in the engine studs, only to find that I didn't do any clearance work for the lower part of the cylinder that slides into the engine. Damn. I thought about trying the clay method to close off the crank area while I ground down the rest of the case, but a friend of mine talked me out of that. He said that I really need to take it back apart and do it the right way. I'm definitely glad I listed to him. There is no way I could have done all of that work with the cases still together.

I spent probably 3 hours this weekend working on the cases. I used my angle grinder to hit the larger areas and then went back with my dremel tool to dial it in. I think I put the cases together and took them apart for test fitting about 5 times before I finally got it. It was a long process of removing and reinstalling the engine studs, test fitting, find the problem areas, and doing more grinding. I finally got it to a point where I was happy with it though.

Here is what it looked like when I was finished:
null

One of the halves:
null

Partially assembled:
null

Mmm...Gila:
null

null

null

I'm anxious to get the kick stand mounted and put the engine on the bike. I'm tired of having the pinto leaning up against my wall without a stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment